joi, 16 decembrie 2010

The relativity of being home

We are all pilgrims in one way or the other... wether we travel with our minds in search for things that could fulfill us, wether we scour the world to see sparkling cities and breathtaking sceneries, or go afar to see the ones we love. Yet every pilgrim has a home - it might be place where they first started their journey, but it might also be the place where they arrived.
Some travel so much, as if they had thickets. Many leave their hometowns to go to other towns or even other countries, in search for something where they can feel they belong.
For my parents the question was: in which city from Romania should I settle down? For our generation the dilemma grows even bigger: in which country of this whole wide world shouldd I live? It is better to have more options, but it's also more frightening. So in such an uncertain and open world, what is the meaning of home?
Experience has taught me that home is more about having the people you love around you, than being in a certain location. I have felt home in Winnipeg, Montreal, Wildwood, in a little mountain town in Austria, in Iasi, Bucharest and neither of those is the place where I grew up in, but in those places I was sorrounded by people that made me feel like home. No matter how far, even across the Atlantic Ocean there are those places that I can relate to as home, because that is where some of the people I love are.
So that is the relativity of being home. It's not a place, but a state of mind, a feeling that the people around you can help you achive. It's where you feel you belong, where you feel content, even if miles away from the place you were born. We might not know where we are going to live, we might even go through more places of residence, but somewhere on the road we will eventually find that inner balance, that state of mind called home...

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu